Monday, February 21, 2011

Quake 2 and Windows 7 - A non-playable game?

Well I'm not so sure about you but have you ever had a hankering for an old school game that you just WANT to play? Well for me today, that game was Quake 2 by id software.

Now as everybody knows, Quake 2 is a bloody brilliant game and revolutionised the way First Person Shooters (FPS) were created and played using a brand new Quake 2 engine which was also used by the street gang game Kingpin.

Now like the most of the worlds PC users I run Windows 7, along side Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat that is, but I ran into a spot of trouble. Now I mounted my Quake 2 image, yes I DO own the game so an image is legally allowed for archival purposes, and went to install the game but the installer wouldn't let me go any further than clicking "Install". Hrmm, not what I had in mind but what can you do?

Well like msot, I threw a tantrum and threw all my toys around. Well not really but metaphorically I did.


Now, after my brief tantrum I used the mighty GOOGLE and had a wee look at what could the problem be and I ran into a nice little forum that told me the answer and I fel lik suck a dick for not thinkng of it sooner.

Step 1, Numero Uno - Load/mount your Quake 2 CD. Simple huh?
Step 2, Numero Dos - Open up the "Install" directory
Step 3, No more spanish - Open up the "Data" folder
Step 4 - Copy ALL of the contents into a new folder i.e. "X\Games\Quake2" just replace the "X" with what ever drive letter you want to use
Step 5 - Go back into the Install folder and copy across q2.ico into your new Quake 2 Folder
Step 6 - Make a shortcut on the desktop and change the icon to the q2.ico that you copied across
Step 7 - Run the Game!

You may need to change the video settings so that your computer/laptop can display it properly. My laptop won't display anything at 640*480 so I've set mine to 1024*768 on openGL mode.

Happy fragging!

No comments:

Post a Comment